Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Person in the Mirror

The way we see ourselves is different than the way others see us. My first assignment for one of my classes this semester was a self portrait. I was excited when I heard this and my head filled with possibilities...however it proved more difficult than I thought.

I don't think I could ever be objective when drawing myself, there are just too many projected emotions, and I found myself creating drawing after drawing with all of them looking different and too few of them looking anything like me.

My first semester at AAU I was assigned to do a self portrait and my teacher was increasingly frustrated with my efforts, as was I. I remember after I brought in my first revision and he said the drawing made it look as thought someone had punched me in the jaw. Exasperated he looked at me and said "you're prettier than this Megan". A nice thing to say- and I can say that since you haven't seen my drawing- but to this day I have been unable to properly take his advice regarding my own self image. I would hope that after two years I had over come this, but it would seem that I still have a ways to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment